Friday, January 11, 2008

One more day.

A lot has happened over the last month. Usually it's not much coming from me, 'a lot' gets redefined here all the time. But this time around it was really a lot.

I turned 21. Amidst little fanfare, thankfully. Is 21 too early to start feeling too old? Is it? I can see myself starting off on the Gone are the halcyon days of my youth... vein already. Methinks there is something very, very wrong with me.

The blog turned 1. As the author forgot the anniversary himself at the time, he feels large-hearted enough to let his readers off the hook for having done so. 40 posts in a year. Not pathetic, but not great either.

I learnt a lot about myself in these past few weeks. Not things which have irrevocably changed the course of the rest of my life or which have made me an alarmingly nice person, but some obscure, insignificant li'l things that I did not know before. I have also changed a lot in these past few weeks, past few months.

I found out that my Tamil isn't as terrible as I'd thought it would be. I was wa-hay better than the other two in using Tamil in Kodai. And later on in and around Madras when dad and the brother came over. I also found out then that I am far better a host than people give me credit for. (In my opinion, at least.) And my tamil is way better than dad's as well.

I am also fitter than I have any right to be. If one were to go by the time I spend in physical activities here (moving your fingers across the keyboard and bearing the weight of your laptop doesn't count, dang,) I shouldn't have lasted for more than half a day on the trek. Yet I managed the 4 day thing with ease. *Is unbearably smug*

Notwithstanding my own ill-conceived smugness, I should say that 40 year old aunties and 50 year old uncles also managed the same.

At this point I am also incredibly apathetic to just about everything academic. Usually that prized apathy was reserved for courses and classes alone, but now it seems to have spread to lab work, application work, you name it. Extreme apathy and extreme laziness. Frightening combination. Also, I had the good sense to pick up a new vice - DotA. I honestly thought that I did not have enough vices to spend all the time this semester has to offer. Idiot. The only way I am different from all those degenerates who game all night is that I game all day instead. (Good people who will help determine where I end up by this time next year - please don't read my blog. Pretty please?)

I have also forgotten how to write. Let alone write things even remotely funny. This post is so freakin' lousy. But as long as it increases the count...

I've used a record number of 'I's in this post. How kewl is that?
(OMG no he didn't, yes he did, I stooped to the level of using the word 'kewl'. And went on to use lolz 'OMG'. Just when you thought I could sink no lower.)

Everyday this past week I have been telling myself that I'll start work in earnest after just one more day. I really will! God promise. I just need today for goofing off, that's all. You know, to get it out of my system. Only this one day. Just one more.

Friday, January 18, 2008.
Addendum: (There seem to be quite a few of these nowadays.)

I am still following the Just one more day routine. Had a thesis review today. Met my advisor after more than two months. Heck, I hadn't been to the department since the fifth of December. I have vowed (to myself, I make no promises to anyone else,) that I will start work from Monday. Really, I will.

4 comments:

Mohan K.V said...

Very belated birthday wishes to the blog and its author :)

"the halcyon days of my youth", ROFL!

Kewl! U jus da m4n, d4wg! H1 f1v3!

I thought this 'extreme apathy towards everything' syndrome was restricted to me, hmm, seems like nearly everyone's going through it. Perhaps we could fit in your hormonal-mean-reduction theory to this ?

Unknown said...

Very belated thanks for the wishes. :)

Dang. I can no longer claim that the extreme apathy phase is something unique to myself.

I dunno, I have trouble connecting testosterone to ambition and diligence in work. :)

VJ said...

:-) All your apathy has done me good though. :-P Your blog is quite a read! Kept me smiling through the exam month. Nice to see a YEAR old SMILE-MAKING blog.

Just thought I'd drop in a "hey".
so HEY! goooooddd writing :-)

Unknown said...

Well, at least the apathy was of some use to someone. Merci.

And, Hey.
:)