Monday, July 23, 2007

Smoked Chow Mein.

It's been a while since I last blogged. I guess I was too free to do so. I need some activity, I need to be busy, and I need to be running out of time to do something else for it to be perfect for me to do random, pointless things like blogging. As I have a poster to finish and present on Tuesday, it is just so.

This was... 2 weeks back, I think. Yes. July 11. And why do I remember that date? 'Cos the new Potter movie was out, and we were going to watch it that night. In little more than an hour. I'm feeling hungry... as I usually am, thanks to 6 o'clock dinners, and decide to cook a packet of those wondrous, delicious Chow Mein noodles, the ones I try to empty the nearby Walmart of.

Instructions to cook? Delightfully simple. Open box partially, empty the veggie pieces into carton, fill water till shown line, and heat in the microwave for 6 minutes. I open the box, empty the veggies, and shove it into the microwave. A minute and a half goes by.

All hell breaks loose.

There is a brief moment of enlightenment, amidst the incessant blaring of the fire alarm and smoke emanating from my microwave.

Crap. I forgot to add the water.


What should have been boiled, had instead combusted. Not explosively, thank heavens, they were after all noodles... but in a way which stank and produced immense amounts of smoke. Me, apart from experiencing that singular revelation, I was still clueless. The noise, that earsplittingly (Hmm... is that even a word?) loud alarm, was so loud that I felt that it was coming from everywhere. My first thought was that the microwave had gone bust, and it was producing the noise. I realised otherwise only after someone else told me that it was the smoke detector making all that noise.

Cursing softly, I tossed what was left of my precious noodles into the trash (which, as was pointed out later by the nice fireman, wasn't one of my brighter ideas... as garbage bags are made of plastic and burn quite easily).

And yes. You read right. The fireman. I go downstairs to tell the person in the lobby that my smoke detector went off, and what do I see? A splash of Fire Engine Red outside the glass doors. With lights blazing. And in come two of them with armour, axes, rope and hose... the whole shebang. And up I go, sheepish as I can possibly be, to show them that pesky smoke. Pointedly ignoring the blatant incredulity directed at how I could have possibly burnt noodles, I do so.

The smell, obnoxious. And the sound, 'twas quite something else. Incessant, trilled, something which 'loud' cannot even come close to describing. The sound which one could hear behind multiple closed doors, 60 feet away. The sound which was determined to continue till the next morning.

Real shoddy, that alarm design. No freakin' off-switch! Could it not have at least been designed to turn itself off once the smoke was cleared? Nope, not this one. The security company had to come in next morning and turn it off.

I did manage to see the movie though, average as it was. It was quite good for a Potter movie, that I'll have to admit. And I did have to sleep in someone else's room. And manage a bath in the morning amidst the hellish blare.

On the bright side, the microwave still works. Stinks a bit of roasted noodle and plastic, but not too bad. It let me make noodles the next day, so I'm all happy.

7 comments:

CoNfUsEd said...

hahahahahaa......!!!! sooooper stuff kano... looks like u havin a nice time out there !! :D

Mohan K.V said...

The Fireman actually came ? :O !!! I set mine off a few times by heating the oil too much for oggaraNe, but my roomie is a seasoned expert at the art of deceiving safety alarms, so we got away with little more than a few silent curses from the neighbours :-)

Ganesh said...

haha!! level only! The only time the fire alarm went off at my place was at 2 AM in the night just when i was getting some sleep.. forced to stand outside in chilly rain for close to an hour :-/

PS said...

@KV - Private dorm kaNo. Not apartment or private residence. Alarm went through to the messageboard downstairs, and they patched it through to the fire department immediately. Morons. Anyhou, if I mess with things here, I'll pay for it, and quite literally at that. I was sorely tempted though. If only I had a Philips head screwdriver. :)

@KB Haha! The perils of living in a developed country, eh?

@Confused Heh, thanks. :) And yeah, I am!

MM said...

Hahahaahahaha!
This one's really funny! :D

PS said...

Thanks! :)

Vasundhara said...

:-) hahahahaha. How embarrassing for you. good fun for your readers though :-)